Why give to United Way rather than individual charities?
A gift to the Cape and Islands United Way is the most powerful gift you can make in our region. Here’s why:
- We Unite. Our ability to unite people and harness the collective power, expertise, and resources of our community to improve lives is what sets us apart from other nonprofits. The large, challenging issues that we take on require everyone pulling together to create lasting change.
- We Improve Lives. We serve those in need, whether that need comes from a sudden setback or the daily struggle to simply make ends meet.
- We Create Lasting Change. Our family of supporters – both donors and volunteers – are motivated to create permanent change. Not “Band-aid” solutions.
How much of my donation goes to help people?
- All of it!
- 81 cents out of every dollar supports the programs and nonprofit partners that we have chosen to advance our goals for the community, while 19 cents out of every dollar is invested to make our work possible.
- We keep our overhead to a minimum through the generosity of local businesses that provide in-kind assistance and underwriting and by relying on hundreds of volunteers.
How is my money spent?
- Our Community Impact Council — made up of community experts in the field of health, human services, education and housing – meet quarterly to review local needs and discuss proven strategies and evidence-based programs for addressing those needs. They have created a RESULTS FRAMEWORK, which they revise annually, to serve as the basis of our funding decisions as well as our leadership work.
- Our four IMPACT TEAMS – Health, Education, Financial Stability and Housing – are made up of citizen volunteers who take a deep dive into the needs and programs in their subject area. They review grant proposals, recommend funding decisions, and monitor projects throughout the funding period.
- For the 2016-2017 grant period, United Way supported 42 critical human service programs at 36 nonprofit organizations.
- In addition to program funding, we also work with our nonprofit partners, and the nonprofit sector at large, to encourage best practices, understand and embrace community outcomes, and encourage leadership and capacity building.
Why does our local United Way support a national office?
- The Cape and Islands United Way is an independent , locally-chartered, and locally-governed organization.
- We pay a very minimal membership fee to United Way World in return for our use of this top global brand. In addition to the brand, we are able to access a national network of information, resources and colleagues, and draw from proven strategies that have been effective in other communities. We believe this is a great deal for our community!
- United Way World in return provides national advertising, discounted goods and services, fundraising and marketing materials, and technical training and consulting.
How do I donate to the Cape and Islands United Way?
- Donate online now at uwcapecod.org.
- Make a check payable to Cape and Islands United Way and send to P.O. Box 2477, Hyannis, MA, 02601.
- Make a gift of stock by calling our office at 508-775-4746.
- Make a planned gift or bequest – it’s easy! Call or email Barbara Milligan for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-775-4746
- Become a Community Builder by joining our monthly giving circle. Your easy monthly contribution, via credit card or checking account, turns a small donation into a BIG DEAL for our organization and for your community.